Sunday 6 September 2009

Where are all the Girls?

My temperamental butternut squash plant has suddenly taken me back to my formative teenage years. Hours of preparation in the shower, hair gel ladled on (something no longer necessary), new clothes and plenty of cheap aftershave. Why am I regaling you with stories from my past? Because my butternut squash is turning out to be like the parties I went to as a teenager – full of guys without a girl in sight!

Back then I'd sit with mates and lament the lack of girls to chat up. Today I sit and lament the lack of female flowers on my squash plant, which is turning out to be a sausage-fest of the plant world. I've had four huge flowers now; all of which have been male flowers. Will I manage to get any vegetables from it? Not unless a lady turns up to the party...

1 comment:

  1. You could always eat the flowers Callum! Dip in a light batter, fry gently and dust with caster suger and a squeeze of lemon. It's delicious with courgette flowers, so squash should be the same...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails